News from the sports world

Auburn v. Alabama :

The Auburn–Alabama football game on Saturday, November 30, had major implications. Alabama was the number one ranked team in the country and has won three National Championships in four years. Auburn is the only other team to win one, with Cam Newton as quarterback in 2010.

This iconic, historic rivalry is known as the Iron Bowl. Going into the fourth quarter, Alabama was up by seven. It looked like Alabama was going to walk away with the victory and all-but-secure their spot in the BCS Championship. However, Auburn wasn’t going down without a fight. With 32 seconds left in regulation, the Tigers scored to tie the game at 28. After bringing the ball to the Auburn 28, Alabama attempted a field goal of 57 yards as the clock expires. The kick was wide, and Chris Davis, a Tigers cornerback, returned the missed field goal 100 yards, leading Auburn to an unexpected victory.

Florida State is now the number one team, with Ohio State in second. If standings stay this way until seasons end, this will be the first time in eight years that the National Champions won’t come from the SEC.

Blackhawks’ Circus Trip:

When the circus comes to town, both the Blackhawks and the Bulls go West. Usually, the circus trip isn’t a friendly one for the Hawks, and they are lucky if they go .500 and don’t lose more than a couple spots in the standings. This season, the Blackhawks went 7-1 with their only loss coming in their first road game against the Colorado Avalanche. While they didn’t beat the best teams in the conference, the Blackhawks beat who they were supposed to and stayed at the top of the conference and league in the process. They are also the first team to get to 20 wins while only playing 28 total games.

New York Basketball:

Both the New York Knicks and the Brooklyn Nets were supposed to be powerhouse teams at the top of the Eastern Conference, but they have under performed thus far. The Nets traded for Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry this offseason, significantly bolstering their talent and payroll. The Knicks are the pride and joy of New York basketball and have one of the best offensive players, Carmelo Anthony.

After losing in the conference semi-finals last season against the Indiana Pacers, expectations were high for the Knicks. Brooklyn has a record of 5-12 while the Knicks are at the bottom of the Atlantic Division with a record of 3-13. The Eastern Conference has turned out to be a two team race, Indiana and Miami, so neither team would have a difficult time climbing up the conference standings due to the weak competition.