Referendum is for the best

On Feb. 10, The Board of Education endorsed a project for which three architectural design teams submitted plans to renovate and remodel the “oldest, most inefficient, and most inaccessible [buildings] on New Trier’s Winnetka Campus” (New Trier Website). Specifically, the 1912 Cafeteria, 1931 Tech Arts Building, and 1950 Music Building are the focus. A previous, similar project, backed by a referendum in 2010, was voted down and included a new gym, field house, fitness facilities, and underground parking in the proposal, which are not part of the current referendum. Basically, the new referendum calls for necessary renovations that are worth taxpayers dollars this time around.

Let’s start with the cafeteria. The environment can be described as hot and sweaty, with students jam-packed and occupying each table during periods 4, 5 and 6. There is simply not enough room for kids. Many resort to the hallways to eat their lunch, and as a result, cause messes for the PPS staff to clean up. In one design plan, the cafeteria will be relocated to a Student Life Wing, which would also host a new library. Natural light filters in through a wall of windows to literally brighten up a student’s day.

The Music Building needs major improvements as well. First of all, it is not accessible for the disabled. There is no elevator and only one ramp for wheelchair access. The building does not meet ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requirements, so disabled students currently have limited opportunity with these mobility restrictions. The new referendum aims to demolish the building, which will salvage a few structures but mostly install foundations for the New Music and Performing Arts Wing. Improving the facilities will allow for New Trier to host a wider scope of shows for performing arts, and provide more equitable physical access for all.

The Tech Arts Building also shares the Music Building’s problems in not meeting ADA requirements. It, too, will undergo a demolition. The referendum also plans to address the ineffective heating and cooling system in the Tech Arts Building.

Space is another selling point of the new designs. Students will have more room to study and hang out. The Scrounge and Student Commons (a section of the cafeteria) would be less crammed; additionally, parking spaces will be added behind the north side of the school. This is an important addition because with it, the supply can better meet the demand – many students currently apply for spaces and are rejected due to a lack thereof.

The Third Teacher, one of the design teams, has created a host of especially intriguing possibilities. As a part of their design concept, they would like to build learning studios. These would be areas for collaboration which range from small group, seminar, project team, gathering, stem lab, and curated space. The Third Teacher believes that these studios will “empower teachers to be designers of the learning experience” and the “agility will allows us to continue to evolve our learning environment.” Both of those statements sound powerful and should get New Trier students excited.

Naysayers will dismiss the referendum by saying it costs too much money and their kids won’t be here to experience the changes. But for a school with such an esteemed reputation as New Trier, the current crumbling infrastructure is an embarrassment. How many times will the ceiling leak before we finally address it? New Trier deserves renovations, and the potential referendum is worth every penny.