Senior Project impresses students and faculty

Students who went on Senior Project returned May 21 with exciting stories and impressive project experiences.

Every year, projects stand out as both creative and unique. Susan Thorngren, director of Senior Project, said that this year was no exception. A few of the projects that were particularly memorable included a student-created guidebook for visitors to Korea; a veterinarian internship, and several journalism field-experiences.

Senior Project is a significant experience, both personally and educationally. Thorngren said, “I think it has a great impact on students, to the point that the majority of students will say that it is the most meaningful experience they have had in their entire four years at New Trier.” Thorngren also stated that Senior Project presents an ideal educational experience for the transition from student to adulthood.

This year alone, Senior Project had a total of 150 participants compared to just over a decade ago when Senior Project consisted of fifteen students.

Senior Project also presents itself as an opportunity for students to get ahead and gain experience in the career they hope to pursue later in life.  Julianna Sawma, a participant who spent several weeks at Sacred Heart Elementary School as a grade 4 teaching assistant, agreed, “Being a teacher is a possible career choice of mine. I know that now.”

Some experiences are more sentimental than others. Rachel Litchenberg made a memoir of her grandmother’s life immigrating to Chicago and being a violinist in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Litchenberg explained, “I wanted to do something creative with writing and photography involved, and then I thought of my grandma who has such an interesting life, and how great it would be if I could immortalize that.”

Another senior project participant, Michael Ulrich made a hip-hop album that featured a song he wrote for his mom. Ulrich stated, “Music has always inspired me and I’ve never had the chance to create it myself and I decided that [senior] project was a great opportunity to do that.”

Ulrich released his album on Mother’s Day, giving his first copy to his mom, who, according to Ulrich, “was crying big time.”