Juniors gearing up for college

This month, juniors have begun working on the college selection process. New Trier counselors have started meeting with students and their parents to discuss their hopes for schools.

James Conroy, the department chair of Post-High School Counseling, said: “Their first appointment must be with one or both of their parents so that we can get down to the personalized part of this. The parents talk about what their expectations are for the student and then we make follow up appointments with the student. This is when it really gets down to, ‘What do I want?’” They consider many different important components to selecting a college such as geographic, cost, size of college, prestige, academic programs, surrounding community, sports, social atmosphere, religious orientation, student body, extra-curricular opportunities, and academic atmosphere.

Juniors have mixed feelings on starting this process. Justine Szafran, a junior at New Trier, is starting to feel the pressure. “I’m excited and kind of overwhelmed because I feel like there’s so much I need to do between now and graduation.” Many students see the immense amount of work as intimidating. Will Armiros, another New Trier junior said, “I’m a little nervous because I saw my older sister go through it and it seems very daunting to get through all the applications but I feel like I’ll be able to do it when it comes.” Erin O’Meara, a third junior, is excited for the process but more nervous to leave. She said, “I am excited but a little nervous because I know it’s a big transition.”

Beginning the college process brings on many new responsibilities for students. Students are dreading many of the more grueling parts of the process. O’Meara said, “Writing essays and completely applications seems like it takes up a lot of time and I’m dreading doing that.” Arminos agrees. “Writing essays seems like a very laborious task that I am not looking forward to completing.” Szafran sees making the final decision as the hardest part. “I’m guessing the most difficult part for me will be to decide on just one school.”

Though it is nerve-racking, there are many parts of the process that juniors look forward to. Armiros said, “I’m most looking forward to the accomplishment of getting it done and seeing it pay off with acceptance.” O’Meara is more excited to go through the selection process. “I am most excited to research and go visit different schools.”  Szafran is most looking forward to starting over at a new school. She said, “I am most excited to go meet new people with interests similar to mine.”

Students seem to be looking for different qualities in a school. Many have aimed to find a school in warmer weather because of the cold Chicago temperatures this winter. Others are looking for a school bigger or smaller then New Trier. Szafran and O’Meara are both focusing on the opportunities the school has to offer them. Szafran said, “I am looking for a school that has many different things to do.” O’Meara is also looking for a school like this and said, “I want to make sure the school I go to has great academics and offers many different programs that I would be interested in studying.” Armiros said, “I definitely would prefer a school bigger than New Trier to get a more authentic college experience with big classes and a big town with plenty of restaurants and entertainment but preferably in the midwest or Northeast because I like Chicago weather.”

Senior students, who are now completing their college process, are great sources of advice for juniors. New Trier senior Alexandra Albian suggests that juniors don’t procrastinate writing their essays and applications. The amount of time they took to write was very surprising to her. She said, “Juniors should try to finish as many applications as you can over the summer. It is annoying to have to do them over the summer, but it’s so worth it because during the year there is so much other school work to do.” She also suggests focusing on activities other then schoolwork. She said, “Try to get leadership or high up positions in your current activities. It’s better to show your commitment to an activity than add on a ton of activities right before you start your applications.”